Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quick Update

Hey folks, Cryptex here,

Just wanted to say that I will be remaking all of my art assets, so that they are created with free license software. (Blender, etc.) Then I won't have to worry about Autodesk or anyone tracking me down and stifling my creativity.  Will still have to check on royalties/etc, but I'm 99% that this route will save me headaches down the road.

Also, I figured with that, I'd spill a tidbit of information about the game. Not a whole lot, as it is not copyright registered  yet or anything, but something is better than nothing hmm?

With that here is what I feel like sharing at the moment!

As of now, there are six classes to choose from, and four "factions" that have their own storyline. As stated before, combat will be hack and slash, though there have been thoughts of switching to turn based for boss battles. (Still not 100% on that, but it's been a thought growing in the back of my head.) A plot spill: The world is based off of our own, but has its own history regarding mythology/etc. Without spoiling too much, and risking the idea getting stolen, there are events happening on the world, that have arisen suddenly. There have been myths and legends of these events happening, but nobody believes them to only be that..legends. How could something so ridiculous actually happen? Those are just myths, not real life. In this world however, they are true, and everyone denies the truth, and believes the lies they are fed by those that rule them. I will most definitely disclose more information further along, but that is all I feel safe sharing plot-wise for now. I will say, expect twists, and the unexpected. (Also, I realize that it sounds very cliche so far, but it is not the same story everyone else has told where the world is ending. :P ) It will be a deep, and scarily realistic storyline. (Society-wise)

As of now, there are twenty different enemies in development, with plans on there being many more.

I really want dialogue to play a large role in this game. I'm thinking something along the lines of Fallout 1 and 2, where it's optional, but the depth is there for those that want it. Player choices (along with their Charisma) will change the possible dialogue choices, and outcomes of those choices. Role-players will be happy.

Something that I have been debating with myself over for the past two weeks or so has been whether or not I want individual armor pieces to appear on your character. To clarify, instead of having a bracer change the appearance of the bracer you are wearing, maybe only have your visual armor change when you have a serious upgrade to an important piece of armor. (Such as chest or legs. (Again, think the old Fallout games, or Diablo 1.) The key factor in deciding which, will be whether or not I want to spend the time on content or visuals...which...at least for me, will always end in favor of content. Too many games nowadays focus on visuals, leaving the player feeling empty at the end of the game.

Project Long Hike will be a very dark game, emotionally and visually. Expect grittiness, gut-wrenching depressions, and decisions that will change your outlook on your character. If things work out the way I want, I will have short cut-scenes for some areas of the game to enhance this feeling. No overdoing it though, I promise. :)

Hope you enjoyed the update! Feel free to ask questions and comment :).

No comments:

Post a Comment